Strategic Plan: Priority 2
Empower diverse campus communities to succeed via education, public engagement, and community partnerships
We will position the library as an inclusive center for academic, creative and intellectual life on campus. We will work with faculty and staff to provide educational support for graduate and undergraduate students, researchers, and health professionals. We will actively support lifelong learning, academic student success and academic retention initiatives. We will develop diverse and culturally inclusive programming that encourages members of all campus communities to see themselves reflected in the services we provide. We will partner with the university, the local Davis/Sacramento community, and external organizations on initiatives and projects that align with our focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Supports the idea to “Take bold steps to close gaps in academic outcomes for students from underrepresented, first-generation and socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds” in Goal 1 of the UC Davis Strategic Plan, To Boldly Go.
Goal 2.1: Improve library experiences for those who are studying and/or working remotely, at university locations outside of Davis and Sacramento, or in a hybrid model
- Investigate the challenges our users face when accessing resources from off campus and address them.
- Research and adopt best practices for remote and hybrid library instruction, including synchronous and asynchronous modalities.
Supports the idea to “Continue to evaluate the possible roles of online education at the undergraduate level” under Goal 1 of the UC Davis Strategic Plan, To Boldly Go.
Goal 2.2: Identify ways to get broad and diverse input on the library’s diversity initiatives
- Gather input in ways that do not place an undue burden on the very communities we seek to serve.
Goal 2.3: Develop campus and community partnerships for the library to advance diversity, equity and inclusion
- Promote awareness of library services to historically and structurally marginalized students.
- Develop and co-sponsor library events and exhibits through which members of all campus communities see themselves reflected in the intellectual and creative life of campus.
- Support campus research and lifelong learning around diversity, equity and inclusion.
Goal 2.4: Following principles of accessibility and universal design for learning, provide multiple modalities of educational support to the campus
- Deepen our collaboration with Disability Management Services and the Student Disability Center to improve the accessibility or inclusiveness of our services, resources and events.
- Audit library instruction materials for accessibility.
- Incorporate an accessibility audit for our electronic resources.
Goal 2.5: Establish an undergraduate student success program, focusing on what the library can uniquely contribute
- Design and implement an undergraduate student success program in consultation with campus stakeholders.
- Assess the campus appetite to colocate a suite of campus student success initiatives hosted in an area of Shields Library.
Supports Goal 1 of the UC Davis Strategic Plan, To Boldly Go: “Provide an educational experience that prepares all of our students to address the needs and challenges of a diverse and changing world.”
Goal 2.6: Increase our investment in Open Educational Resources (OER)
- Improve the affordability of course materials by continuing to work with content providers in support of the Equitable Access Program and eliminate restrictions on the use of metadata, abstract, and full-text.
- Support and promote the creation, adaptation, adoption and curation of OER by our instructors and students.
Supports the idea of “Addressing affordability” in Goal 3 of the UC Davis Strategic Plan, To Boldly Go.
Goal 2.7: Promote the adoption of best practices for culturally relevant teaching
- Use diverse images and examples in library instructional materials to better engage our students.
- Empower campus instructors to have access to diverse images and examples for their instructional materials to better engage our students.