On This Day: April 9, 1938
Today’s feature in our On This Day series takes us to the April 9, 1938 dedication of the Gymnasium and Swimming Pool. President Robert G. Sproul presided over the dedication ceremony which included a speech, Athletics and the Well Rounded Man, by Peter J. Shields.
The concrete building, designed by William C. Hays, replaced the old Recreation Hall and provided the campus with the first swimming pool. Basketball games were held here until the new Recreation Hall was built in 1977. On May 20, 1972 the building was named for Vernard B. Hickey (1900-1988). Hickey served as Football Coach from 1937-1948 and Athletic Director from 1961 until his retirement in 1967. He also coached baseball, basketball, water polo, swimming, and golf.