Skip to main content
Meet with a Librarian
Submit a Digital Sign
UC Davis Buildings and Land Use History
Archives and Special Collections
History of UC Davis
UC Davis Buildings and Land Use History
- Armstrong Red Barn built (acquired with Armstrong Tract).
- Barns #1 and #2 built (acquired with Campbell tract)
- Selection of 779-acre Sparks-Devlin-Hamel tract near Davisville as site of University Farm; price paid $104,250.
- Creamery built.
- Judging Barn (Wyatt Pavilion) built. First building built for University Farm.
- Dairy Barn built.
- Farm Director’s residence (University House) built.
- North Hall built.
- Agronomy Seed Laboratory (Viticulture Field Laboratory) built.
- East Hall built.
- Poultry buildings built.
- Viticulture Field Building (Old) built.
- Experimental Barn (old) built.
- TB-10 (animal science, then plant pathology, then art) built.
- Landscape Horticulture built.
- South Hall completed (includes 3-bed infirmary).
- West Hall completed.
- First administration office building (Cross Cultural Center in 2000) built.
- Beef Barn (old) built.
- HA-2 (foreman’s cottage) built.
- Class Room Building (C.R.B.) completed (includes library room).
- Feed Rack Shed built.
- Viticulture Dehydrator Shed built.
- Poultry Husbandry Laboratory built.
- Rec Hall completed after 5-year campaign.
- Horticulture Building.
- Dairy Building (first permanent non-wood buildings).
- Agronomy Seed House built.
- Calf Shed built.
- Ram Barn built.
- Vegetable Crops Seed Storage Building built.
- Dairy Cattle Shed built.
- Hopkins main barn built (sheep barn acquired with Hopkins Tract).
- Implement Storage (Agricultural Services) built.
- Pomology Office Building built.
- Horticulture Building and Roadhouse Hall (Dairy Industry building) completed (first two permanent buildings).
- Implement Shed built.
- Vegetable Crops Field House built.
- New infirmary.
- Bee House built.
- Horse barn shed built.
- Livestock Nutrition-Feed Laboratory built.
- TB #24 (Stock Judging Barn, Bike Barn) built.
- Cork oaks planted around the quad.
- Engineering building completed (Walker Hall).
- Greenhouses and headhouses #10, 11, 13, 14 built.
- Walker Hall completed.
- Animal Science Building completed (Hart Hall).
- Horse Barn (large) built.
- Memorial Gate constructed by students for Labor Day project.
- Campus roads paved.
- Walker Engineering Annex built.
- Quad seeded with grass.; sprinkler system installed (by students on Labor Day?).
- Lathhouse #5 built.
- Vegetable Crops Bulb House built.
- Home Economics Practice Cottage built.
- Home Management House built.
- Class Room Building (C.R.B.) condemned.
- Library moved from C.R.B. to old gym (rec hall) during Christmas vacation.
- Lathhouse #3 built.
- TB #13 relocated to campus.
- Wolfskill Experimental Orchard near Winters acquired.
- Hickey Gym built at a cost of $350,000.
- Barns #1 and #2 built (acquired with James and Marion Hurry property).
- Brucellosis Cattle Barn and Laboratory built.
- HD-1 Old Baxter residence acquired with Hopkins Tract.
- Physical Education Building (Hickey Gym) completed.
- Physics Building (Art Annex) built.
- TB #18 built.
- Enology Laboratory completed.
- Walnut Plant and Shop built.
- Agronomy Warehouse built.
- Fire House completed.
- Greenhouse #12 built.
- Greenhouse and headhouse #30 built.
- Library and Administration Building (now Shields Library) completed.
- Pomology Cutting Shed built.
- TB #15 relocated to campus.
- Hydraulics Laboratory and Irrigation Shop built.
- Physical Sciences Building (Young Hall) completed.
- Veterinary Medicine Turkey Disease facility built.
- Redwoods planted along Putah Creek.
- Manhattan Project in Chemistry Building (Young Hall).
- HB-7 acquired with Sheffer Tract.
- Physics Cyclotron built.
- Poultry Field Headquarters built.
- TB #20 and #21 built.
- Animal Husbandry Machinery (hay) Shed
- HB-1, 3, 4, 5 acquired with Armstrong Tract and moved onto campus.
- A-B-C dorms and Aggie Villa created from surplus government housing.
- Artificial Insemination Barn (north) completed.
- Apiary completed.
- Airport Office, Shop and Hangar built (part of the original Hopkins airport).
- TB #1, #2, #3, #5, #6, #9 bought from federal government as war surplus.
- TB #16 relocated to campus.
- TB #19 built.
- Aggie Villa completed.
- TB #22 built.
- University acquires Straloch Farm, first and only University-owned airport in California.
- Agricultural Services Office moved from old farm division area (formerly nine-man bunk house).
- Greenhouses and headhouses #31-32 built.
- Haring Hall completed.
- Hunt Hall completed.
- Kennels Building built.
- Large Animal Barn built.
- Veihmeyer Hall completed.
- Veihmeyer Secondary Storage completed.
- Veterinary Medicine Shop, Garage, and Dormitory completed.
- Grounds Shop built.
- Pomology Field Building built.
- Poultry Husbandry Field Headquarters (chicken brooder, chicken laying, chicken pedigree, turkey breeder, turkey pens, and turkey nutrition) completed.
- Beckett and Hughes halls occupied.
- Cruess Hall completed.
- Artificial Insemination Barn (south) completed.
- Primero Halls (Beckett Hall, Food Service, and Hughes Hall) completed.
- Sewage Treatment Plant completed.
- TB #14 relocated to campus.
- Transmissible Gastroenteritis built.
- Home Economics building completed.
- Cowell Health Center completed.
- Animal Shelter Shed built.
- Chancellor’s residence bought from Knowles Ryerson.
- Cruess Hall completed.
- HC-2 acquired with Brooks property.
- Home Economics (Everson Hall) building completed.
- Poultry Field Laboratories #1 and 2 built.
- Poultry Service Building built.
- Poultry Turkey Breeder built.
- West Hall razed.
- Beef Barn and Shelter built.
- Greenhouse #15 built.
- Greenhouses and headhouses #20-25 built.
- Insectary Building built.
- Sheep Field Laboratory and Shelter completed.
- Vegetable Crops Wash and Implement Shed built.
- AEC Dog Quonset.
- Farm Practice Shop built.
- Poultry Husbandry Building completed.
- Dedication of Memorial Union to 128 Cal Aggies lost in military service.
- Corporation Yard completed.
- Greenhouse and headhouse #19 built.
- Laboratory Animal Housing, Building A completed.
- Library Addition built.
- Memorial Union completed.
- Plant Pathology Field Headquarters Building built.
- Viticulture Field Building built.
- Agricultural Equipment Storage (E) Landscape Horticulture Field Headquarters and Laboratory, and Lathhouse #4 built.
- Struve Hall built.
- Arboretum improvements along Putah Creek.
- Bleachers for football field built.
- Greenhouse #40 built.
- HE-1 acquired with Campbell Tract.
- Lathhouse #1 built.
- Campbell Tract Field Buildings completed (Agronomy, Irrigation, and Zoology field laboratories).
- Dairy Cattle Research (calf barn, hay barns, lounging sheds, milking center, research barn) completed.
- Greenhouses and headhouses #60-62 built.
- Screenhouse #3 (for Plant Pathology) built.
- Screenhouse #7 (for Vegetable Crops) built.
- Strontium 90 Animal Quarters built.
- Avian Medicine completed.
- Farm Practice Equipment Shed built.
- Food Technology Storage Shed built.
- Hoagland Hall completed.
- Hoagland Hall Secondary Storage built.
- Landscape Horticulture Shade Shelter built.
- Lathhouses #14 and 19 built.
- Phytotron #1 built.
- Vegetable Crops Machinery Shed built.
- Voorhies Hall completed.
- Wickson Hall completed.
- Bacterial Canker Research Laboratory built.
- Greenhouses #50 (A-F) built.
- Landscape Horticulture Laboratory and Storage built.
- Robbins Hall completed.
- Screenhouse #8 (for Vegetable Crops) built.
- Segundo Halls (Bixby Hall, Food Services, Gilmore Hall, and Malcolm Hall) completed.
- Strontium 90 Clinic built.
- Feed Mill (hay barn, mill building) built.
- Freeborn Hall completed.
- Irrigation and Drainage Laboratory #1 built.
- Poultry Egg Laying House built.
- Strontium 90 Office and Laboratory built.
- Strontium 90 Pump House built.
- Agricultural Services Field Headquarters (A-D).
- Bovine Leukemia Sheds #1 and #2 built.
- Experimental Sheep Facility built.
- Hydraulics Laboratory and Irrigation Shop addition built.
- Irrigation Storage built.
- Marsupial Houses built.
- Solano Park Apartments completed.
- Physical Sciences Building Addition built.
- Screenhouse #10 (for Pomology) built.
- Screenhouse #11 (for Botany) built.
- Cattle Feed Facility built.
- Chronic Acceleration Research Laboratory built.
- Fire Station (Hopkins Area) built.
- Hutchison Hall completed.
- Irrigation and Drainage Laboratory #2 built.
- Library East Wing built.
- Olson Hall completed.
- Physical Education Building Addition built.
- Pomology Field Headquarters (field laboratory, dehydrator, implement shed) completed.
- Sproul Hall completed.
- Strontium 90 Sewage Plant Shelter built.
- Veterinary Medicine Feed Storing and Milling Facility built.
- Vivarium Headquarters built.
- Agriculture Toxicology Building completed.
- Bacteriology-Laboratory Animal Housing C built.
- Bovine Abortion Isolation Barn built.
- Chronic Acceleration Research Laboratory Cage House built.
- Experimental Bird Building built.
- Feed Mill Hay Storage Addition built.
- Laboratory Animal Housing, Buildings B and D completed.
- Metabolic Research built.
- Orchard Park Apartments completed.
- Ryerson Hall completed.
- Screenhouse #9 (for Plant Pathology) built.
- Strontium 90 Radiation Injection and Caretakers Quarters built.
- Student Recreation Lodge built.
- Veterinary Medicine Large Animal Quarters #2 built.
- Weather Station built.
- Airport Hangar #3 completed.
- Avian Disease Facility built.
- Crocker Nuclear Laboratory built.
- Greenhouses #70-71 built.
- Mastitis Research built.
- Physical Sciences II (Chemistry) completed.
- Phytotron #2 built.
- Plant Growth Research Unit #1 (headhouse #3, greenhouses #301-320, headhouse #6, and greenhouses #601-620) completed.
- Primate Center completed.
- Regan Halls completed.
- Sheep Barn built.
- Vegetable Crops Controlled Temperature Facilities completed.
- Administration Building (Mrak Hall) completed.
- Bainer Hall completed.
- Cowell Health Center Addition completed.
- Cruess Hall Addition completed.
- Ecological Research Facilities (outside animal pens, research building) completed.
- General Services building (telephone center).
- Humanities Complex (Art, Dramatic Art and Speech, and Music buildings) completed.
- Memorial Union Addition completed.
- Veterinary Medicine Large Animal Isolation Housing built.
- Engineering Building completed.
- Library South Wing built.
- Tercero Halls completed.
- Cole Facility completed.
- King Hall completed.
- Storer Hall completed.
- Wellman Hall completed.
- Kerr Hall completed.
- Briggs Hall completed.
- Kleiber Hall completed.
- Roessler Hall completed.
- Carlson Health Sciences Library completed.
- Tupper Hall completed.
- Schalm Hall completed.
- Parsons Seed Certification Center completed.
- Thurman Laboratory completed.
- Library West Wing completed.
- Buehler Alumni and Visitors Center completed.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Building completed.
- Heidrick Center for Agricultural Equipment completed.
- Dutton Hall completed.
- Maddy Laboratory completed.
- Plant and Environmental Sciences Building completed.
- Robert and Margrit Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts completed.
- Marya Welch Tennis Center completed.
- Activities and Recreation Center completed.
- Genome and Biomedical Sciences Facility completed.
- Center for Companion Animal Health completed.
- Ted and Rand Schaal Aquatics Center completed.
- Sciences Laboratory Building completed.
- Watershed Sciences Building completed.
- Gladys Valley Hall completed.
- Mathematical Sciences Building completed.
- Art Annex Conversion to Technocultural Studies Department completed.
- Campus Child Care Center completed.
- Multi-Use Stadium completed.
- Vet Med 3A completed.
- Warren & Leta Giedt Hall completed.
- Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science completed.
- Maurice J. Gallagher, Jr. Hall completed.
- Earth and Physical Sciences Building completed.
- Student Health and Wellness Center completed.
- Conference Center completed.
- Campus hotel (Hyatt Place) completed.
- Winery, brewery and food-processing complex completed.
- Student Community Center completed.
- Ann E. Pitzer Center completed.
- International Center completed.
- Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art completed.